FACEBOOK BUTTON TWITTER BUTTON GOOGLE+ BUTTON INSTAGRAM BUTTON PINTEREST BUTTON LINKEDIN BUTTON

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wedge Sneakers: Bringing back the 80's

My style has always been eclectic, a little off and contradictory. I like feminine, lacy & flowy things but simultaneously love a little androgynous edge like studs, black leather and S&M inspired accessories like cuffs, spikes and killer heels (hence my love for Valentino). And of course the typical tomboy-ish attire like denim, oversized top, cut off shorts & high top sneakers.

I think growing up with my brother had a lot to do with it, as I enjoyed riding my huffy bike around the neighborhood and mastering video games from its early days of Pacman onto days of Tetris, Original Super Mario Bros, Zelda and later Gears of War and World of Warcraft. I was a true nerd- an avid reader & female video gamer.

I was reserved and girly in that I enjoyed sitting alone in my room and read Louisa May Alcott's Little Women (Oh how I always dreamed of having curls like Beth) but was still boyish and sporty in that I watched every episode of Power Rangers (The OG Japanese version because we were cool like that- ;) and was obsessed with shows like Astro Boy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

Come to think of it, my eclectic style today is largely influenced by my childhood so it's no wonder I became obsessed with the wedge sneaker trend influenced by Isabel Marant.





These are sold out virtually everywhere and come with a hefty price tag of over $800. You can still find other versions at sites like net-a-porter  but cute color combinations with hightop design that celebrities have been rocking are difficult to find.  And honestly, I don't know if I can ever spend this kind of money on sneakers today.  If you can afford them, you're incredibly lucky! But as for me, I'd rather put it aside for new boots or heels for fall.

Even as I knew I wasn't going to purchase Isabel Marants I couldn't stop thinking about them and lusting after them. I still don't understand why some bloggers say this is a love/hate trend because I don't see anything wrong with them. Comfortable, boyish high top sneakers with hidden platform? That's not an oxymoron- IT'S THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!

They totally remind me of these awesome LA Gear sneakers I had in 4th grade with bright neon shoelaces in contrasting colors. I used to wear sneakers all the time in grade school and mix & match my shoelaces. I remember I had these bright blue shoelace on one time and was told by a teacher to remove it because it resembled 'gang colors.' I was disgruntled but still rocked my LA Gears proudly & blissfully.


LA gear in neon from late 80's

I think that gives me enough street cred to be an OG sneaker lover. For me, this hightop wedge sneakers trend is more than a fashion statement; it's a piece of childhood that I love & greatly miss.

So after some research I decided to try these wedge sneakers by Ash in distressed black leather. These were the most affordable ones I can find without being cheap quality and knock off versions. There are various versions like Bowie, Cool and their latest Bea but I went with the original Cool version with thicker sole since I wanted a style that resembled my original sneakers from the 80's & 90's.  However the updated versions are more modern, more feminine and just as cute as the cool line.

You can't really tell from my iphone pictures (I really need the iphone 5!!) but the leather and bottom sole are distressed for a worn-out look, not perfectly black & white like it looks in the picture.

Ash 'Cool Ter' Wedge sneakers $295 

Sometimes all it takes is one pair of shoes to bring back childhood memories and lift the spirits after a long week.

Feelin' youthful, tomboy-ish and very grateful!

2 comments:

  1. I totally am remembering my LA Gear with neon laces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love wedge sneakers very much, find more similar pairs at Love this cool Ash Bowie Wedge Sneaker, did you buy it at http://www.upere.com/upere-wedge-sneakers-c-1.html.

    ReplyDelete