FACEBOOK BUTTON TWITTER BUTTON GOOGLE+ BUTTON INSTAGRAM BUTTON PINTEREST BUTTON LINKEDIN BUTTON

Friday, February 21, 2014

Books For Kids: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane


I had many plans and things on my to-do-list this week, until my second daughter came down with a fever that lasted nearly four days.

I'm now fairly accustomed to this sudden disruption in my schedule and can glide through maternal responsibilities without feeling overwhelmed or completely helpless.  Nine years with two children can do that for you-- and I finally feel like an expert mother who left behind her amateur badge somewhere along the way (until of course, my girls become teenagers).

This past week was filled with countless filling of things: filling tiny cups with grape-flavored Tylenol, filling humidifiers with giant distilled water and filling steel water bottles with ice cold water to bring down my child's fever.

The most enjoyable part however, was filling my child's imagination with stories; stories of a toad and a frog, and this story of a china rabbit who is lost and on a journey back home to find his true love.

"You must be filled with expectancy. You must be awash in hope.  You must wonder who will love you, whom you will love next."

After going through hundreds of children's books, this is by far, one of my favorite bedtime stories for children. The book is divided into short, readable chapters perfect for young children 7 and up. It is easy-to-read but not without profound meaning & smart use of vocabulary. Also, while the characters and plot seem simple enough for young children, it contains deeper meanings and life lessons that remain in readers' hearts after end of each chapter.

This is surely a story that can be read over and over again, and I hope my daughters will re-read this when they are older and appreciate the hidden treasures throughout.

NEXT READ:

Puffin Classics Books 



I came across this most adorable classics book set perfect for young readers. The Deluxe set contains ten books including A Little Princess by Frances Hogdson Burnett, The Secret Garden, The Wizard of Oz, Black Beauty, Adventures of Robin Hood, Anne of Green Gables and Peter Pan.

Adorable, but pricey- yet I plan to collect them one by one. Kids outgrow pretty dresses and shoes, but children's classic literature lasts forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment