FACEBOOK BUTTON TWITTER BUTTON GOOGLE+ BUTTON INSTAGRAM BUTTON PINTEREST BUTTON LINKEDIN BUTTON

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Go me.

Holding on to Love by Chelsea Victoria

My 4-year old T has so much energy that it's been hard keeping up with her at home. We tried ballet but she froze and refused to follow her teacher's instructions and instead continued to tumble around the couch in front of the TV. After giving it much though, I decided to try gymnastics since two of her art class buddies are already in the class--and sure enough, she absolutely LOVES it.  She loves it so much that she decided she wants to quit preschool and go to gymnastics everyday. Yesterday I exchanged her pretty tutus and ballet slippers for gymnastic leotards as T counts the days until her next gym class.

Unlike her mom who gave up ballet at age 4 the day after the teacher forced her to do painful splits, T is a natural in the gym. As of now she shows more interest in balance beams and monkey bars than books and I'm totally fine with that. I was a book worm since childhood and even until this day, I have trouble sharing my passion with anyone else except in literature courses in college and grad school. Even my business-oriented husband has little interest in sharing my ardor for literature and literary figures and eventually, this has become a solitary or rather, lonely hobby. Reading definitely helped to heighten my spirituality and sense of awareness of the world around me but I'm still lacking energy and stamina that I need to keep up with my growing family.

Anyway, this entry is not really about T's gym or my love for literature. On the day I signed up T for gymnastics, I impulsively joined a crossfit gym located next to her gym class.  I have no idea what compelled me to do this, all I know is that I was drawn to it like a kid being drawn to the candy store. Except of course, fitness training is much more difficult than eating candy and not much sweeter..at least, not yet.  After yesterday's first day of fundamentals, I'm sore in body parts that I never knew existed yet feeling great than ever.  I'm a mother of two. I need to strengthen myself not only physically and mentally, and live a healthy lifestyle. I'm determined and motivated and they say that is the most important thing. Let's see where this takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment