FACEBOOK BUTTON TWITTER BUTTON GOOGLE+ BUTTON INSTAGRAM BUTTON PINTEREST BUTTON LINKEDIN BUTTON

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Humpday blues

Easter 2011

Just baked delicious Easter cookies with kids. Tasted even better than it looks. I'm tempted to say I made them from scratch including the bunny faces but no- I cheated and used a pre-made dough. Either way, the girls loved them and was kind enough to leave me half a cookie. Yeah, that pretty much sums up motherhood. You give a lot more than you take.

On another note, I'm starting school again three years after leaving grad school for domestic duties. As difficult as it was to leave school & career (both were interrelated for my career) it didn't take long for me to adjust to motherhood- throwing intelligence & analysis out the window and focusing on patience, understanding and endurance in the name of family. It's hard to be smart, driven AND be happy with mundane day-to-day duties. Don't let anyone else (especially other men who have no idea what motherhood entails) tell you otherwise. In order to survive full-time motherhood with happiness and gratitude, she must consciously dumb herself down through animal sounds, kiddie songs & silly faces.

She must stop listening to NPR and boycott politics, economy, philosophy, history, literature & science- aka things that matter in the real world for the time being- and be content with living in the world of Nickelodeon and Disney movies- things that mean the world to preschoolers. I've heard of supermoms who can attain perfect balance and negotiate both lifestyles but these moms remain as mythical figures in my book. I know two types of mothers: full-time working moms who are happy to leave their children at daycare/schools, grandma's or with nannies and and stay-at-home moms who would much rather spend time with their children than work. Yet I have yet to meet a mother who does both HAPPILY. The key word is HAPPILY. If you know of a mother who achieved this zen, please email me so I can contact her for guidance. I'll even bake her some Easter cookies.

Anyway I'm happy to announce that days of full-time motherhood are slowly coming to an end and I'm actually thinking about my OWN life again! According to Five Languages of Love, I feel love through receiving gifts and acts of service. I am always reminding my husband of this and today he was thoughtful enough to buy me a box full of school supplies. Way to go husband, way to go kids. Way to go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment